Job Title: Database Developer
Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Manager, IT Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Primary responsibilities of the Database Developer include SQL script development, database extracts, data interface management and automation, data migrations, QA report generation, support for internal databases, as well as ongoing custom report generation for various business units. In addition, this position will provide support for MySQL integration.
The Database Developer will work with external vendors and internal business analysts to understand data requirements, and work to ensure data best practices are implemented and followed, including setup and documentation of data feeds, data interfaces, and data protection/disaster recovery. This individual will also work with application developers and business owners to ensure proper integration with existing enterprise applications.
Many of existing interfaces and data exchange processes are manual and often handled via Excel. The Database Developer will work with internal members of the team to develop and review production data automation and reporting requirements. The Database Developer will in turn analyze these requirements and develop the SQL scripts for data automation and report generation.
ESSENTIAL Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Translate business requirements into technical design and build the ETL and BI code to support the data warehouse, data marts, and reporting and analytics solution
- Apply and help institute best practices, methodology, and development standards in data warehouse and BI application development
- Develop ETL code and data cube design specifications while documenting appropriate metadata
- Assist with the implementation of the data infrastructure to support business needs and address security compliance/requirements
- Document existing and future production systems – utilizing tools such as CA Erwin where necessary – to include data models / data interfaces, business rules, software scripts, Stored Procedures, etc.
- Identify and resolve data issues in partnership with business analysts and external vendors ensuring best practices followed
- Oversee the production and distribution of QA/QC and Business Intelligence reports ensuring all reporting Service Level Agreements (SLAs) are met
- Assist with providing automation of QA/QC reporting and develop production level automation scripts
- Ensures that system documentation is accurate and updated as needed. Participates in disaster recovery (DR) exercises as directed
essential Worker Competencies
- 5 plus years related work experience
- Strong technical skills in SQL Server 2008 R2 and strong programming skills in T-SQL
- Strong experience with SQL Server Reporting Services & Integration Services (SSRS & SSIS)
- Basic understanding and experience with SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
- Expertise in using SQL Server Management Studio
- Demonstrated experience developing complex data migration, transformation, synchronization, and replication jobs
- Familiarity with data integration within mixed database environment (MS SQL and MySQL)
- Application development and database experience from business requirements to production implementation
- Basic understanding of data models, logical and physical database design, relational databases, database optimization, data replication, and data interfaces
- Prior experience in generating custom data extracts
- Knowledge of data compliance and privacy standards and regulations as they apply to insurance and banking industries
- Self-motivated, self-directed and shows attention to detail while working with data
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute reporting tasks in a fast-paced, results-driven environment
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment with a diverse team of business and IT staff
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Systems preferred; Professional certifications are an advantage
- Works ethically and with integrity supporting organizational goals and values
- Displays commitment to excellence
- Completes work in a timely manner and meets deadlines
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Meets productivity standards and achieves key outcomes
- Is dependable and keeps commitments
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit and treats others with respect
- Maintains confidentiality of information and uses information appropriately
- Exhibits sound judgment when making decisions and recommendations
- Fosters collaboration toward a common vision and shared goals
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands, as this position requires up to 8 hours a day of computer work. The employee is frequently required to talk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus (the ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus) and close vision (defined as clear vision at 20 inches or less).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly working in an office setting.
CERTIFICATES AND CERTIFICATIONS:
Bachelors in Computer Science or related IT field and/or 5-10 years of experience working within a diverse IT environment. Industry certifications related to this position a plus.
Valid Driver’s License required for travel to job sites, client and vendor locations within the United States.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications