Business Rules Analyst
|Title:||Business Rules Analyst|
|Department:||E-Business & User Support|
Job Title: Business Rules Analyst
Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Vice President, E-Business & Technology Product Management
FLSA Status: Exempt commensurate
Capture, design, author, validate and manage rules in Business Rules Management System (BRMS). Orchestrate business rules using industry best practices. Conduct rule testing and simulations to confirm desired rule execution results. This role will perform analysis and design of business needs, managing and coordinating with various teams working on critical business projects to determine the optimal rules support. Previous experience using rules authoring tool is required.
Essential Worker Competencies
- Author and implement Business Rules in a BRMS, based on key requirement sources (regulatory and policy manuals or articulated business rules), in an executable format according to the BRMS rule-base design.
- Define and implement business object models (BOM) based on use cases and model diagrams.
- Create rule-base design documentation in consultation with stakeholders, appropriate business partners and team colleagues.
- Assist in the application and development of rules management best practices.
- Ensure that rules developed match requirement specifications.
- Provide the appropriate testing team with BRMS rule-base builds of sufficient quality, and with appropriate documentation and information, to enable testing of the executable rules.
- Act as the liaison between the client, stakeholders, and development team for the logical design of business processes and systems that satisfy customer requirements.
- Be a key facilitator within the organization to communicate capabilities and limitations of the BRMS technology, proposed BRMS rule-base design, and BRMS implementation strategy.
- Remain involved throughout a project's lifecycle and be accountable for project deliverables that satisfy the goals and expectations of the business.
- Work in coordination with development to help create/enhance technical design - needs to be able to think strategically and also understand business and industry trends.
- Maintain documentation, including Use Cases, Interface Contract, Implementation documentation, and Business Rule templates.
- Undertake quality assurance processes at each stage of authoring activities, unit - testing of business rules.
- Provide comprehensive production and development support, including problem analysis, ticket documentation, and customer support.
- Resolve application and technical problems through rigorous testing and problem identification/solution.
- Implementation experience with a BRMS such as iLog, Drools, Blaze Advisor, PegaRULES.
- Previous experience in implementing business rules using a web based authoring tool.
- Strong skills in developing business rules using Rules, Decision Tables, Decision Trees and Rule Flows.
- High aptitude and interest in working with the business users to analyze processes and derive business requirements.
- Understanding of current industry best practices, and an understanding of the technology stack being used, to identify and optimal business rule sets.
- Experience and demonstrated competence in ensuring rule authoring quality assurance across multiple projects.
- Strong Business Analyst skills, including process analysis and requirements definition. This includes (but not limited to) process modeling/mapping, functional requirement document creation, user interface design, and use case definition.
- Strong rule and application testing skills using SoapUI and application Web Service calls for test case execution. This includes (but not limited to) test case creation, execution and analysis and reporting of results.
- Ability to perform both functional and technical roles on Business Rules projects.
- Interview users and review existing documentation to elicit business requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written).
- Develop positive working relationships and a strong rapport with team members and business stakeholders.
- Ability to grasp business concepts easily and communicate with business units using their language.
- Desired experience with mortgage, mortgage insurance or insurance applications.
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Works ethically, and with integrity, supporting organizational goals and values.
- Meets productivity standards and achieves key outcomes.
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit and treats others with respect.
- Maintains confidentiality of information and uses information appropriately.
- Exhibits sound judgment when making decisions and recommendations.
- Analyzes and interprets information accurately.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field.
- 5-7 plus years of IT work experience in applications programming / analysis.
- Experience with rule based projects.
- Java J2SE and Java 6+ development experience preferred.
- Excellent working knowledge of systems / applications software and the Information Technology industry.
- Experience with Agile software development methodology preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands, as this position requires up to 8 hours a day of computer work. The employee is frequently required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit, stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus (the ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus) and close vision (defined as clear vision at 20 inches or less).
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly working in an office setting.